This project management training course is designed for anyone looking for a skills foundation to manage day-to-day projects or contribute to larger project initiatives.
In this project management fundamentals course, participants will learn how to:
- Balance time, cost, scope and quality
- Define a project vision
- Plan quickly and effectively
- Create a project schedule
- Monitor projects
- Close and evaluate a project
- Effectively participate in and manage projects.
Read on to learn even more about what goes into being an effective and successful project manager, and how ICML can help you build up all the skills you need.
What skills do project managers need?
When you are working on a project — whether you are the one leading or participating in a team or you are the team — there are a number of skills that will allow you to excel. These include:
- Being able to manage your time effectively so that you are able to complete everything you need to do on the prescribed timeline.
- Getting a complete view of everything that will go into the project, and what you need to accomplish those goals.
- Monitoring every aspect of the project as it progresses and addressing issues as they arise.
- Understanding when to intervene and influence decisions and when to let others tackle important responsibilities.
- Communicating what’s needed and negotiating effectively to get what you need.
- Motivating other people to accomplish tasks that advance the project, mostly without the use of formal authority.
- Managing conflict as people involved or related to the project inevitably have diverging interests.
- Reporting on progress to management or other parties with an interest.
- Knowing when you are reaching the end of the project’s scope and what it takes to finally complete its various aspects.
Many of these are effectively “people skills,” both for keeping yourself going strong and ensuring everyone else on the team is staying the course.
What qualifications do you need to be a project manager?
The good news is that to excel at project management in Australia, you don’t need any set qualifications. You will just need to be able to use the above skills to work within or oversee a project team, effectively deploying all the knowledge you’ve acquired over the course of your career.
Those skills are applicable in a broad range of industries and for businesses of all sizes. Whether you are working on your employer’s first-ever project team or this is the kind of thing that happens on a weekly basis, these skills will be vital.
What do you do as a project manager?
When you are managing a project from the top down, you are overseeing a lot of moving parts. Whether it’s a human resources project, or you are developing a new process, product or service, the same leadership and management tools will always be necessary to manage the project for success.
Want to improve some of those skills? We have a few suggestions for how to do so.
How long does it take to learn project management?
There is no set point at which you have fully learned what it takes to master business project management. As with many other things in business, the things that work today might not work tomorrow.
You will therefore have to constantly hone your skills so that you can always be an agile project manager.
What is the career path for a project manager?
You can be a more effective project manager or participant at any level of your career. Whether you’re just getting your feet wet in an entry-level job or you’ve been a C-suite executive for years, you can manage projects effectively.
The good news is that these skills will typically benefit you no matter what your career path looks like, and can help you accelerate your climb up the corporate ladder.
How do you get project management training?
At ICML, we offer some fantastic project management training in Brisbane – courses that can help you and your colleagues hone your skills and knowledge, both in general and for very specific skills necessary to lead a project from inception to completion. These lessons should be part of your broader professional development.
Each one is highly customisable, so you or your colleagues get exactly the guidance you need.
Tailoring our Project Management course to your needs
Whether it’s for a handful of professionals within your organisation or an entire team, delivering a tailored in-house Project Management training in Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane is both economical and effective.
At ICML, we boost your return on investment in project management training Brisbane because we tailor the workshop experience in a number of ways, including:
- Content: We’ll discuss which topics are relevant to your organisation and design a program that suits your unique needs. That includes customising for any existing project management framework, methodology and templates. For example, we have delivered the project management essentials training program often with a planning and time management focus. At other times we have taken an approach more focused on managing project stakeholders.
- Language: We’ll adopt your internal business and project management terminology and your project management framework if you use one, so everything is fully relevant to your organisation.
- Duration: We can facilitate anything from a one-hour presentation to a multi-day project management training program over the course of months (and everything in between).
- Location: We’ll deliver our programs across Australia and overseas, either in person or virtually.
Get in touch
Our various project management short courses in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane or any other location will equip you or your entire company with the unique skills you need to succeed. We offer both in-person training and online courses. Contact us to learn more about what we can do for you: